By: Holly Aldriedge
For several years now, I have been wanting to attend SXSW and I finally got to go. I didn’t know what to expect, only that it was sure to be fun and engaging. I came back with several golden nuggets of insight. Below are some takeaways from some of my favorite conferences.
Austinpreneur: Fearless Women in Action
• Look fear in the eye and keep moving
• Be bold and take risks
• Make dreams into goals by taking small bites
• Reach beyond your bubble (people, comfort, etc.)
• Make failure matter
Achieving Gender Equity in Design Leadership
• (Many times) men are evaluated on potential and women on their resume
• If there is an opportunity to speak, present, etc. jump on it.
• Eliminate the word “just” from your vocabulary (“I just wanted to run this by you really quick”) You are essentially apologizing when you don’t need to
• Push yourself out of your comfort zones
• Demands we study people
• Look through the eyes of others
• Have empathy
• Look for desire line
Creativity in the Age of Invention
• Brand or be branded
• Defining core brand DNA (Self expressive benefits, emotional benefits, functional benefits) • Brand values - today's option packages are tomorrows standard equipment (no invention will stay “special”. Your brand value is based on expressive and emotional benefits)
• What is the singular benefit customers get from you that they cant get from anyone else?